Modifications to your diet and use of anaesthetic mouth washes will help you overcome pain experienced during eating or upon swallowing.
- Anaesthetic mouth washes can be helpful. Discuss with your doctor.
- Modify your food consistency - soft, moist, bland food may be better tolerated.
- Try minced or vitamised foods, and add extra sauces, gravies to help swallowing.
- Avoid irritants such as highly spiced and/or salty foods, hot food and drinks, acid foods & juices, rough foods e.g. nuts, seeds, grains, raw vegetables.
- Avoid temperature extremes. Hot or cold foods/drinks may aggravate the mouth. Try foods and drinks at room temperature.
- Drink nourishing fluids.